Erectile dysfunction is inability to achieve and maintain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse, one of the most common sexual disorders in men. You can cope with this problem through various medications that can be purchased from us on the site.
Allocate primary and secondary erectile dysfunction. Primary (congenital) is characterized by the fact that a man has never been able to perform sexual intercourse. This is extremely rare. Secondary erectile dysfunction is the most frequent option when, for the time being, everything was fine in a man’s sex life, and only then problems with erection appeared. Timely treatment to the doctor will help preserve men’s health. Most often, men complain of a weak erection, which does not allow sexual intercourse to occur. Sometimes, on the contrary, there is a fairly strong erection, but when trying to intimacy, it quickly disappears. Among the reasons that lead to erectile dysfunction, experts point out:
- diseases of the cardiovascular system: hypertension, coronary heart disease, atherosclerosis, etc;
- endocrine disorders: hypogonadism (insufficient production of the sexual hormone testosterone), diabetes mellitus, etc;
- malformations of the genital organs, diseases of the prostate gland and bladder, renal failure, etc;
- side effects of drugs: diuretics, beta-blockers, antihistamines, etc.
On a note
If erectile dysfunction is psychogenic in nature, treatment includes psychotherapist consultations and physiotherapeutic techniques. Treatment of erectile dysfunction caused by organic disorders begins with their correction. The previous examination, as a rule, includes:
- hormone level tests;
- blood sugar analysis;
- study of the lipid profile (triglycerides, total cholesterol, high and low density lipoproteins).
Causes of erectile dysfunction or how to understand – contact your urologist or psychologist?
If tests reveal abnormalities, hormone replacement therapy will come to the rescue, normalizing not only the potency, but also the work of the heart, pressure, weight, blood counts. Assign it can only specialist. As well as improving the potency of modern drugs. For the prevention of erectile dysfunction:
- be physically active – movement helps prevent vascular disorders;
- limit the use of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs that provoke the development of erectile disorders;
- control blood pressure and cholesterol levels;
- establish regular sex life without prolonged periods of abstinence and sexual excesses.
Earlier, decades ago, impotence at the age of 40 years, by definition, was considered psychogenic. Improving the possibilities of diagnosing and understanding the disease in recent years has shown that at least 15–20% of men at a young age with impotence have organic lesions. In one study, 14.8% of men younger than 40 years were found to have organic lesions causing erectile dysfunction. Its causes were atherosclerosis (32.1%), venous pathology (16.7%), neurogenic disorders (12.8%), endocrine diseases, and medication. The main risk factors were smoking, elevated cholesterol in the blood, injuries to the groin area, spinal cord injuries, and drug use.
At the age of over 40, organic causes of erectile dysfunction begin to dominate, among which atherosclerosis, diabetes mellitus, and age-related decline in testosterone level play a key role. A separate specific cause of impotence in men over 60 is the radical removal of the prostate gland in cancer of this organ. An operation can damage the nerves that provide an erection. The best opportunities for the prevention of erectile dysfunction provide endoscopic and robotic operations. The greater the age and the wider the scope of the intervention, the more often impotence develops after the operation. Alternative treatments (cryotherapy, brachytherapy) do not give the best results.